The diet prescribed for each patient is unique and depends on their allergies, food sensitivities, physiologic condition, nutrient deficiencies, and so on. However, for most people a Paleo/Mediterranean diet is best. This diet includes plenty of high-quality protein from fish, grass-fed meat, eliminates dairy and grain for most patients, and encourages the consumption of plenty of organic, high-fiber and vitamin-rich vegetables, fruits and seeds.
In addition to meats and fish, we also advocate olive oil, coconut oil, organic butter, and avocados as sources of healthy fats. Even when eating this program, nutritional supplements will still be required for most patients due to the depleted nutritional quality of modern foods. For more information, read the Paleo books and Protein Power on the reading list. Dr. Kaye will prescribe you a personalized diet on your first visit depending on your unique needs.
Female Hormone Issues / PMS / Menopause
- Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom by Christiane Northrup, MD
- The Wisdom of Menopause by Christiane Northrup, MD
- What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause by John R. Lee, MD
- What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Pre-Menopause by John R. Lee, MD
- The Menopause Revolution-Smashing the HRT Myth by Martin Milner, MD
- The Sexy Years by Suzanne Somers
- Ageless-The Naked Truth About Bio-identical Hormones by Suzanne Somers
- From Hormone Hell to Hormone Well by Randolph & James
- Natural Hormone Replacement for Women Over 45-The Safe and Natural Menopause Treatment Alternative by Jonathan V. Wright, MD & John Morgenthaler, MD
- Guide to Natural Hormone Replacement by Julian Whitaker, MD
- Once a Month by Katharina Dalton, MD
- Beyond Estrogen by Laura Pawlak
- The Hormone of Desire by S. Rako
- PMS: Solving the Puzzle by Hahn
- Hormone Harmony by Alicia Stanton, MD
- Adrenal Fatigue by James L. Wilson, ND, DC, Ph.D.
- Safe Uses of Cortisol by William K. McJefferies, MC
- Cortisol Connection by Shawn Talbot, Ph.D.
- Overcoming Thyroid Disorders by David Brownstein, MD
- Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It by David Brownstein, MD
- The Thyroid Solution by Ridha Arem, MD
- The Testosterone Syndrome by Eugene Shippen, MD
- Testosterone for Life by John Morgenthaler, MD
- What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Breast Cancer by John Lee, MD
- Natural Strategies for Cancer Patients by Russell L. Blaylock, MD
- Beating Cancer with Nutrition by Patrick Quillin Ph.D., RD
- The Real Vitamin and Mineral Book by Shari Lieberman, Ph.D., CNS, FACN
- The Gluten Connection by Shari Lieberman, Ph.D., CNS, FACN
- Ultra metabolism by Mark Hyman, MD
- Gluten-free Quick and Easy by Carol Fenster, Ph.D.
- The Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain, Ph.D.
- The Paleo Diet for Athletes by Loren Cordain, Ph.D.
- The Paleo Diet Cookbook by Loren Cordain, Ph.D.
- Protein Power by Michael R. Eades, MD and Mary Dan Eades, MD
- The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook by Alissa Segersten & Tom Malterre
- The Complete Book of Juicing by Michael Murray, ND
- Wheat Belly by William Davis, MD
- The Paleo Approach Cookbook by Sarah Ballantyne and Terry Wahls, MD
- The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success by Deepak Chopra
- The Power of Intention by Dr. Wayne Dyer
- 10 Secrets of Success and Inner Peace by Wayne Dyer
- The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
- Feeling Good by David D. Burns, MD
- Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers by Robert M. Saplosky
- The Heart Disease Breakthrough by Thomas Yannios, MD
- The Sinatra Solution by Steven T. Sinatra, MD
- Reverse Heart Disease Now by Steven T Sinatra, MD
- What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Hypertension by Mark Houston, MD
- Clean, Green & Lean by Walter Crinnion, ND
- Detoxification and Healing by Sidney Baker, MD
- Detoxify for Life by John Cline, MD
Mind and Brain Health
- The Better Brain Book by David Perlmutter, MD
- The Ultramind Solution by Mark Hyman, MD
- Feeling Good by David Burns, MD
- Changing for Good by James Prohaska, Ph.D.
- Grain Brain by David Perlmutter, MD
- Digestive Wellness by Elizabeth Lipski, Ph.D., CCN
- Healthy Digestion the Natural Way by D. Lindsey Berkson, MD
- The Yeast Connection by William G. Crook, MD
- Stay 40 Without Diet or Exercise by Richard Lippman, MD
- Forever Ageless by Ron Rothenberg, MD
- The Hormone Handbook Patient Guide by Thierry Hertogue, MD
- Preventing and Reversing Osteoporosis by Alan R. Gaby, MD
- PACE The 12-Minute Fitness Revolution by Al Sears, MD
- The Promise of Low Dose Naltrexone Therapy by Moore and Wilkinson
- The Paleo Approach: Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body by Sarah Ballantyne and Rob Wolf
There are many excellent filters. For most patients, I recommend the simple and easy to use "Pur Water Filter." It snaps onto the faucet and has a long-lasting, easily changed triple stage charcoal filter that removes nearly all pollution and drugs/hormones from your water. Remember to transport your water in a stainless steel flask, don't drink from plastic bottles, don't cook or store food in plastic.
Sources for Nutritional Supplements:Sources for Nutritional Supplements:
I recommend patients only take nutritional supplements that are prescribed by a doctor and obtained from pharmacies that specialize in natural medicines and nutritional supplements. Nutritional supplements should be taken based on testing to determine if a deficiency exists; no guesswork! Dr. Kaye can prescribe to many pharmacies that stock natural medicines and high-quality supplements and they will ensure that the product you receive is consistent with the doctor's orders. Remember that, even though they are natural, these products are actually natural medicines and should be prescribed by a physician knowledgeable about natural medicines. Many natural medicines or supplements are regulated as "foods" by the FDA, so only the quality of the manufacturer determines the quality of the product. For this reason I recommend companies such as Metagenics, Orthomolecular, Biotic Research, Xymogen, Pure Encapsulations, Designs for Health, and Douglas Labs. Most of these products are only available with a physician's prescription. If you buy the cheaper products you find in big box stores or your local pharmacy or even the local health food store, you are usually wasting your money as they use inferior ingredients, they may be contaminated with molds, pesticides, or heavy metals, the ingredients listed on the label may not be in the product, and the dosages are often not effective. We have an online system at the office through which we can prescribe these supplements and have them shipped monthly to you, usually with no shipping charges